Black Sheep Cafe
Since Black Sheep burst on to the Provo food scene, it has quickly become one of the best places for lunch or dinner. Warning: it is so popular, we haven’t been able to get a table more than one Friday or Saturday night. The Navajo-Southwest fusion creates food that is unique and interesting. I love their use of green chilies and spices. If you haven’t been, do yourself a favor and just go.
Here are the things we highly recommend:
- Can’t beat a good Goat Burger (and, no, it doesn’t have goat meat!) This flavorful burger, with the perfect combo of goat cheese, mushrooms, and roasted peppers on nanaskadi bread is my favorite burger. It costs a little more than some burgers, but is worth every penny. Seriously, the only burger I actually crave. We get it with the sweet potato fries and often split one, so we can share something else. It is only on the lunch menu, but you can beg if you’re there for dinner.
- If it is your first time, go for the Navajo Taco Sampler. (These aren’t your ‘state fair’ navajo tacos. They are three amazing recreations that give you a great taste of an ethnic favorite. Sometimes it isn’t on the menu, but, again, you can ask.)
- The Street Corn, when it is in season. Some dishes come with half-an-ear as a side, but that isn’t enough, so we often get two a-la-carte, so we don’t have to share.
- The Blue Corn Nachos are pretty mean. Blue corn tortilla chips, piled high with grilled chicken, guacamole, sour cream and cheese. We don’t really go in for ‘nachos’, but these are really good. Sometimes we get this to go with our goat burger and call it a night.
- The Green Chilli Pork Stew and Posole are super soups perfect on a cold nights.